One woman's ale journey

A beery boozy journey with delightful snacks along the way and a book in my hand.

Sunday 20 November 2016

Dartmoor Jail Ale


Look at that lovely perfect thick frothy head and delicious deep toffee amber colour.  It also has a lovely malty smell so I couldn't wait to dive in.

There is a multitude of flavours bursting out of this one: toffee, fruits, biscuit, malt and spices.  I really didn't expect something quite so pleasant from the unremarkably labelled bottle.  Jail Ale looks like a bitter but there is no metallic aftertaste, just a lip smacking delicious creamy flavour.  There is a slight aftertaste but it's more a strong bitter citrus rather than the metallic tang I would have expected.  The head is so thick that it leaves tremendous lacing on the glass.

As I drank more I noticed more sweetness but the aftertaste also became more prominent and I'm not sure I can get away with it.  I feel like I have sucked the pith of a lemon, although I did stop noticing it after a while.  First impressions were good but it was slightly spoilt by the overpowering citrus as I supped.

Brewed by Dartmoor Brewery, Princetown
4.8% ABV

My rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment